Italian agricultural holdings operating with organic methods have increased in recent years. In 2015 the average organic area already represented 12% of the Italian agricultural territory.
The increasing demand for organic products by consumers makes this market very attractive for food-processing companies. The organic method is in fact a certification that can be extended to processed products sold to the final consumer as food.
It applies not only to the product but to the whole supply chain (agriculture production, processers, processing company, distributors) providing an added value to the product and extending the existing quality system.
This field of application also includes food supplements, provided that they contain at least 95% of ingredients of organic agriculture and animal origin. Vitamin and mineral products are excluded.
Companies processing products of agriculture and or animal origin for food consumption wishing to obtain the organic certification should refer to Control Bodies recognised in each Member State, the only ones authorized to control the compliance with the requirements of Regulation EC no. 834/2007.
In Italy, these Control Bodies are authorized by the Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Forestry Policies (Mipaaf).
In such scenario, Di Renzo Regulatory Affairs offers assistance to Italian and European companies manufacturing or marketing food supplements and Foods for Specific Groups for the following services:
- Feasibility study of the organic certification project, and cost and time analysis
- Assistance in the selection of a Control Body duly authorized by the Mipaaf
- Contacts with authorized bodies for the registration of the company in the agricultural holdings registry and with the Control Body selected;
- Preparation and control of the documentation required for the organic certification application;
- Study and assessment of the label and presentation of the organic product
- Preparation of the packaging graphic design
- Updating on the regulations.